CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 5, 2012

November's Math Meeting on the Smartboard



Over the weekend, I worked on my new Math Meeting for the Smartboard.  We are transitioning to the Common Core and have noticed some gaps between first and second grade.  These skills may seem a bit low-level, but we'll increase the complexity as they are ready.  I'm disappointed I didn't introduce dimes and pennies in October as planned, but other things came up -- uh...the dreaded Third Grade Guarantee for which our district was unprepared.

So, I'm not quite where I'd like to be, but that's ok.

We try to do the Math Meeting activities several times a week, and I try to keep it as interactive as possible.  




The first page is just a reminder of what we are working on this month. 

                         
We’ve already done a lot of skip counting below 100.  Now, we’ll move past 100 (up to 120 for first week or so).  The chart is there for help as needed.  The blank space is for me to write the counting sequences. I found this idea in Number Sense Routines by Jessica Shumway.  You can read about Count Around the Circle on p.57 of this excerpt of her book. I have a chart that has the numbers 101 to 200 to replace this one when we are ready for it. 

                           

I found this Number of the Day freebie at TPT.  We are focusing on tens and ones and expanded form (and the dimes and pennies will also fit well there). 

                          


As far as telling time goes, we’ve been working on telling time to the hour and half-hour, so I’m hoping they’ve all got that pretty well so we can move on to quarter hours and 5-minute increments.  They love Stop the Clock, and we’re introducing the clock from Mr. Nussbaum’s site.  They will get to choose which site to visit each day.


                   

Our second grade goal is mastery of all 100 addition facts by semester time, so that will wrap up our meeting.  Students can choose from the four sites (Leon's Math Dojo, Sum Sense, Math Lines, Fruit Shoot Addition) to visit.  We enjoy all of these!

I’m still working on making visually appealing Smartboard files. It’s fun, but time-consuming!!  If you’d like this file, leave me a comment, and I’ll get it sent to you.  I’d love to see any you’ve made!

0 comments:

Post a Comment